On 27 July, the CMJA and SIFoCC (the Standing International Forum on Commercial Courts) organised a Webinar for 10 Judges from the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal and High Court on the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
The Keynote address was given by the Hon. Chief Justice of Rwanda, Chief Justice Faustin Ntezilyayo.
The Webinar discussed the following topics two topics: The genesis and overview of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and Remedies, challenges in access to remedies, and the gender and marginalized persons dimension.
The two sessions were chaired by Mr Justice Robin Knowles, England and Wales and Justice Nzioki Wa Makau of Kenya. Speakers included:
- Nadia Bernaz, Associate Professor of Law, Wageningen University (Netherlands)
- Daniel Leader, Partner and Barrister at Leigh Day
- Lise Smit, Senior Research Fellow in Business and Human Rights and Director, BIICL
- Anna Kirkpatrick, Senior Associate, Clifford Chance
- Dr Karen Brewer, Secretary General CMJA