The Commonwealth Magistrates’ and Judges’ Association (CMJA ) is a UK registered charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee which has to comply with UK legislation on data protection.
The CMJA is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Policy outlines why we collect personal information and how we use it and under which conditions we may disclose this to others and how we keep it secure.
We may change this Policy from time to time so please check this page occasionally. Any queries regarding this policy should be addressed to the Secretary General by email: email@example.com
Your personal information
Personally Identifiable Information: We may collect information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that identifies you (“Personally Identifiable Information”) when you:
- provide such information on our website,
- apply or update your membership or
- register for CMJA event or programme, or
- otherwise interact with the CMJA , including, but not limited to, purchasing CMJA publications or memorabilia.
The types of Personally Identifiable Information collected may include your name, address, phone number, billing and delivery information, email address, information about your interests and gender. We will only collect birth date information for Immigration purposes for the Conferences we hold or for charitable purposes (the latter only applies to those who are Trustees/Directors of the Association).
Data relating to members and other organisations is stored securely and is only be accessible to authorised persons.
How We Use and Share Personally Identifiable Information
Once collected, we may use your Personally Identifiable Information in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Communicate information such as subscription reminders, order confirmations, programme registrations ;
- Respond to your emails or online requests for memorabilia, publications, or information;
- Deliver and process surveys related to the membership or judicial practice;
- Publish registration lists as described below;
- Tailor content, advertising and marketing to you of CMJA or other relevant events.
How is your information used?
We may use your information to:
- process your membership;
- process any donation that you have made;
- process orders that you have submitted;
- seek your views or comments on the services we provide;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest
to you. These may include information about campaigns, appeals, other fundraising
activities, promotions of our associated companies goods and services;
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example the collection of Gift Aid or to comply with financial requirements under the UK Companies Act or with requirements imposed by the Charity Commission). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. We retain the information for up to three years after the individual member has not paid their dues and then the information is taken off our database.
Publication of Your Personally Identifiable Information for Registration Lists
To allow other participants in the CMJA Conference you have attended to find you, the Personally Identifiable Information we receive will be published on the cmja.biz site. These Participants Lists will not include sensitive information. We will always ask your permission to include you on these lists in any registration form you fill in for the CMJA events.
Third Party Service Providers working on our behalf
We may pass your information to our third party service providers, subcontractors for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to process registrations for Conferences or to ensure that your details are lodged with Immigration authorities for the purpose of easier processing of entry requirements). However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have systems t in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties unless you have requested us to do so, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime or in order to ensure that, if you are attending any events, that you are on the host country’s immigration lists for entry processing.
Sharing Your Email Address
Your e-mail address will only be used by the CMJA. We do not sell or rent e-mail addresses to anyone outside the CMJA. The CMJA will also not share e-mail addresses to unrelated third-parties, affiliates, or CMJA members unless you have authorised this.
- You can withdraw your consent to any of the above at any point during your membership;
- You have the right to enquire with the CMJA as to how your data is processed as well as what data we hold on you in line with the above;
- You have the right to erasure, where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed or if you have withdrawn your membership or if we no longer require all the data, unless required for legal reasons;
- You have the right to allow the CMJA or its authorised service provider to access your information for registration purposes for its Conferences;
- You have the right to object to the CMJA in processing the data we hold on you right to object if we process personal data for the performance of a legal task or in the CMJA’s legitimate interests unless the CMJA can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override the interests, rights and freedoms of the individual; or the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
If you wish to make a complaint, please contact the CMJA at the address below .
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We’re working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you. In the meantime, if you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
58-59 Trafalgar Square,
London WC2N 5DX
or phone us on: + 44 207 976 1007
Updated November 2017